Refuse – Collection Service
Recycling bin (blue top)
- all plastic containers including: yogurt pots, margarine & ice cream tubs, food trays (any colour) all bottles (any colour) including drinks, household cleaning, personal hygiene & shampoo bottles, container lids (please remove lids and place them in the recycling bin separately)
- paper: including shredded paper contained in a paper bag or sheet of newspaper, paper with staples or glue and envelopes with windows & stamps
- cardboard: a bundle of cardboard boxes, as long as they are flattened and tied with string, can be placed next to your bin for collection
- cans, tins & aluminium foil
- glass, bottles & jars of any colour – do not wrap or bag your glass even it is broken. Glass such as broken wine glasses or windows cannot be recycled.
- cling film, plastic toys, flower pots, carrier bags, polystyrene, tetra-packs (e.g. milk and juice cartons), food, garden waste, shoes, clothing and textiles, batteries, aerosols and foil.
Some of these items can be taken to your local recycling bank, the tip or another option. See our |Recycling A-Z for where to take these items.
- meal leftovers
- fruit & vegetable peelings
- meat & fish
- bones, fat & gristle
- rice, pasta, beans & cereals
- cheese, yogurt & eggs shells
- tea bags & coffee grounds
- bread, cakes & pastries
- mouldy & out-of-date food
- nuts & their shells
Please do not put in packaging of any sort, plastic bags or liquids including oil or fat.
Landfill (refuse) bin (green top)
Nearly everything that is thrown into this bin goes to landfill so please check first to see if it’s something that could be recycled or composted.
- rubbish that cannot be recycled using any of our other services
- aerosol sprays
- disposable nappies
- pet waste
- flower pots
- plastic bags
- soil and stones
- paint tins
- business waste
- food - |see information on the food collection service
- plastic pots, tubs and trays can go into your recycling bin
- garden waste - |see information on our garden waste collection service
- needles & clinical waste - |see information on our clinical waste collection service
Any items of waste that we do not collect, you may be able to take to a |Community Recycling Centre (‘the tip’)
Elmbridge provides a fortnightly domestic waste collection for households. To check your collection schedule please use our |My Neighbourhood feature. Simply select the |“My House” tab, enter your postcode or address, and choose your property number from the list below to identify your collection day details.
The standard method of collection is from a wheeled bin for hygiene and safety reasons. We only collect refuse contained in your bin. Any refuse sacks or boxes placed alongside or on top of the bin won’t be removed. This is to discourage leaving waste which could be pulled open by foraging animals. If you have too much waste, please take it to a |Community Recycling Centre (‘the tip’). Nearly everything that is thrown in your refuse bin goes to landfill so please make sure that it’s not something that could be recycled or composted.
Generic Contact Environmental Care Team
tel: 01372 474775
< |Back to Services listLast Updated: 7/1/2013 7:54:02 AM
You might also want…
- |Civic Amenity Site & Service (A – Z of Services)
- |Commercial Waste Disposal (A – Z of Services)
- |Environmental Care (A – Z of Services)
- |Fly-Tipping (A – Z of Services)
- |Food Waste Recycling (Pages)
- |Guidance on the storage and collection of household waste (Documents)
- |I live in a flat, what waste collection services do I receive? (FAQ)
- |Refuse Collection (Pages)
- |Rubbish Tip (A – Z of Services)
- |Street Care and Cleaning (A – Z of Services)
- |What Day is My Waste Collected (Pages)
- |Wheeled Bins – Recycling and Refuse (A – Z of Services)
- |Where should I leave my bin for collection? (FAQ)